Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Importance of Moderately-Righteous Friends

Everyone needs a stash of friends who are righteous-but-not-perfectly-righteous.

I needed one about a year ago today when I locked myself out of my house just before leaving for church.  It wouldn't have been so bad except:

1. My house key had fallen off my key chain somewhere inside the house.

2. I'd left 8-month-old Aubrey alone in her crib.

3. My husband was already at church and had forgotten his phone that day.

4. Church was about to start any minute.  (And he's the bishop, so it's not like he can just get up and leave.)  

It's kind of a thing that people don't check at their phones during Sacrament meeting.  And that's a really good thing EXCEPT for when I desperately need someone to check their phone.  

We were down to just a few minutes before church would start, at which point my chances of reaching help would drastically decline.  I scrolled through all the ward members I had in my phone and considered which ones would not only be at church, but also be the type who might just occasionally check their phone during Sacrament meeting.   It was a shortish list (3 people), so I gathered the kids and we said a prayer that one of them would please, please, please check their phone.  

Someone did.  It's funny how things work... she isn't a church phone-checker, but she had the thought to look up the name of the little boy she was sitting next to and that's when she saw my text.  She raced up to Brian just before the meeting started, grabbed his keys and raced them back to me.  She drove up to my house laughing her head off, not at all judgmental about the fact that I'd just locked my baby in the house but vowing to tease me about it for the rest of my life.

That's what (medium-righteous) friends are for.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see this as a series. "A Medium Digest of the Moderately Righteous."

    ReplyDelete